The Guild's namesake
patron is St. Stephen
the Protomartyr, the
first to shed his blood for
Christ, and one of the Church's first deacons
The Guild of St. Stephen was founded in
May 1905 at Westminster Cathedral in London, England by
Fr. Hamilton MacDonald. A few months later, Pope St. Pius X gave his Apostolic
Blessing to the Guild, indulgenced it and raised it to the status
of an archconfraternity. In 1934, Pope Pius XI extended the privileges
throughout the entire British Empire. In 1955, the Guild adopted
Pope St. Pius X as its secondary patron, upon the
personal encouragement of Pope Pius XII.
Archbishop Lefebvre after having come in
contact with the Guild in 1985 was so impressed by its work that
he made special mention of it during the General Chapter of the
Society of St. Pius X where he encouraged its implementation in
all of the Society’s missions.
Click to learn more about the Archconfraternity of St.